Jafri Merican Architect is an architectural consultancy firm registered with The Board of Architects, Malaysia (Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia, LAM), The Malaysian Institute of Architects (Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia, PAM) and The Ministry of Finance, Malaysia.
ARCHITECTURAL BASIC SERVICES
Basic services is a terminology used in the Architect’s Act 1967 to denote the full range of architectural service required of the Architect to enable the client to build their projects and obtain the Certificate of Fitness for Occupation from the relevant approving authorities. These services are provided for clients who intend to proceed to secure authority approvals and obtain competitive tenders from prospective contractors.
Schematic Design Phase
· Upon acceptance of the client's instructions, to begin work by analyzing the project brief.
· Prepare preliminary conceptual sketch proposals to interpret the project brief;
· Develop the preliminary conceptual sketch proposals into sketch designs to a stage sufficient as to enable an application to be made for planning approval or approval in principle to comply with the relevant by-laws;
· Prepare preliminary estimates of the probable construction cost based on current area, volume or other unit costs; and
· Where applicable, to prepare and submit the drawings and other necessary documents to relevant approving authorities for either town planning approval or approval in principle.
Design Development Phase
· Upon the approval of the proposals by either the relevant authority or the client, develop the schematic design drawings to a stage to enable other consultants to commence their detailed design work;
· Prepare working drawings and to submit the same together with all necessary particulars to the relevant approving authorities to obtain statutory building approval;
· Update the preliminary estimates of construction costs and to submit the same to the client for his approval; and
· Update the project planning and implementation schedule and to submit the same to the client for his approval.
Contract Documentation Phase
· Upon the approval by the client of the updated estimates of construction cost and the planning and implementation schedule, to prepare and finalize the detailed drawings and other particulars necessary to the stage of completion adequate for bills of quantities to be prepared by an independent quantity surveyor;
· To prepare all documents, in collaboration with other independent consultants appointed by the client, necessary for obtaining competitive tenders for the work;
· Invite, on behalf of the client, tenders for the work or collaborate with the independent quantity surveyor engaged by the client to do so;
· Evaluate the results of the tenders and submit a report and recommendation to the client;
· Award the contract on behalf of the client; and
· Prepare the contract documents, in collaboration with other independent consultants appointed by the client, for signature by the client and the contractor.
Contract Implementation and Management Phase
· To perform all the functions and duties of the architect under the terms and conditions of the building contract;
· Provide information and issue instructions to the contractor as required under the terms and conditions of the building contract to enable the contractor to proceed with the works;
· To examine the works programme submitted by the contractor to be satisfied that the works can reasonably be completed within the contract period;
· To inspect the works at periodic intervals so as to ensure that the works are being executed in general accordance with the building contract and to certify the completion of the various stages of the works required in support of an application for a certificate of fitness for occupation from the relevant approving authority;
· Where necessary, apply for a certificate of fitness for occupation or its equivalent from the appropriate authority;
· Accept on behalf of the client, the works at various stages of completion; and
· Provide a set of drawings showing the building as constructed and obtain for the client the drawings of the building’s services as installed together with all warranties and maintenance manuals as provided for in the contracts.
ARCHITECTURAL SERVICES FOR DESIGN AND BUILD CONTRACTS
These services are provided for design and build contractors who have secured contracts from developers and are seeking to employ an architectural firm with experience in translating design drawings contained within the contract documents into construction detailed drawings for on site implementation.
· Upon acceptance of the client's instructions, to begin work by analyzing the design and build contract documents and drawings.
· Develop the contract drawings into concept and design development drawings to a stage sufficient as to enable the client to submit the same to the developer and obtain approval and consent to proceed with construction drawings.
· Develop the approved concept and design development drawings into construction drawings in collaboration with other independent consultants appointed by the client.
· Advise the client on the resident site staff required for the project and estimating the cost of their employment and the duration of their employment.
· To inspect the works at periodic intervals so as to ensure that the works are being executed in general accordance with the Design and Build contract and to enable the developer’s architect to certify the completion of the various stages of the works required in support of an application for a certificate of fitness for occupation from the relevant approving authority;
CONSERVATION AND SUPPLEMENTARY SERVICES
Our firm also provides services for clients intending to conserve buildings for historical reasons and clients looking to purchase and renovate buildings to fit their commercial or personal requirements.
· To survey and measure existing buildings, prepare specifications and other documents for repairs, restoration or conservation work, provide architectural basic services for this purpose, administer the contract and to inspect the works during their execution.
· Prepare measured drawings, carry out visual surveys, take levels and prepare plans of sites and existing buildings.
· To carry out visual inspection, and prepare report and give advice regarding the condition of existing buildings;
· Prepare schedules of dilapidations for either the landlord or tenant, take particulars of sites, prepare specifications for repairs and supervise their execution;
· In collaboration with a structural engineer, undertake structural surveys of a building and ascertain the extent of defects which may affect its value;
· To investigate building failures and arranging and inspecting repair work by contractors or specialists;
These services are provided for clients who would like to ascertain the feasibility of their commercial sites and are interested in evaluating viable options and strategies to maximize returns for their projects.
Formulation of design brief and site analysis
· Ascertain the client's objectives, brief and constraints for the project and advise the client on the appropriate strategy and course of action to achieve their objectives;
· To inspect and advise the client on the selection and suitability of proposed sites, conduct or take part in negotiations connected therewith, take levels and prepare measured drawings, plans of the sites, sites and buildings or existing buildings;
· Prepare and refine the brief in consultation with the client and interpret the client's objectives to arrive at an agreed brief for the project;
Feasibility studies and preliminary design work
· Carry out such studies as may be necessary for the project and review with the client alternative design and construction solutions, evaluate their respective advantages and disadvantages and give advice on all relevant aspects of obtaining statutory approvals necessary for the implementation of the project;
· Prepare the outline project plan which may include a preliminary cost estimate, a preliminary project planning and implementation schedule, a preliminary cash flow projection including probable construction costs and fees and resource plan.
Advisory service for project management work
· Advise the client on the need for geotechnical, civil, structural, mechanical or electrical engineering, quantity surveying or other specialist consultants' services, invite, obtain and evaluate submissions and make recommendations to the client for their appointments if necessary; and
· Advise the client on the resident site staff required for the project and estimate the cost of their employment and duration of their employment.